Our teeth are irreplaceable and we cannot do without them. Did you know that eating the right foods can do as much good for you as regular brushing and flossing? Did you realize that some food and drink will not only help keep your teeth in shape, but also feed them, too? Snack on some fruits and vegetables while Dental.net counts down the top 10 foods to benefit your dental health.
Top 10 Foods for Your Teeth:
1. Green Tea has a well-deserved reputation for providing many benefits. With teeth, green tea offers up natural antioxidant compounds prevent plaque from accumulating, therefore reducing the risk of cavities and bad breath. Some green teas also contain fluoride that can further prevent tooth decay – check the label before you buy.
2. Dairy products such as milk and yogurt are low in acidity and sugar making them great choices to quench your thirst or have as a healthy snack. This is good news for both tooth erosion and tooth decay. Milk is rich in calcium, which means you are fortifying teeth and bones while refueling during the day.
3. Cheese is another dairy product with significant dental benefits. Being high in phosphate and calcium, cheese promotes healthy teeth. It also balances the pH in your mouth, produces more saliva, rebuilds tooth enamel and kills the bacteria that cause tooth cavities and gum disease.
4. Fruit is great for your teeth especially when eaten in whole, raw form. It keeps down plaque and massages your gums. Choose the fruits rich in Vitamin C, which holds our body cells together. If you are short of Vitamin C, your gums may become tender and more susceptible to gum disease.
5. Vegetables are another good idea if you are trying to build a good foundation for your teeth. Broccoli, carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin are rich in Vitamin A from which tooth enamel forms. If you eat them raw you will get more Vitamin A, as well as clean your teeth and massage your gums.
6. Onions are rich in powerful anti-bacterial sulphur compounds, which kill the bacteria that harm your teeth and gums. If you can stand the stinky side effects, eat onions raw for best results.
7. Celery is another great friend of the dentist. Eat it raw and it will not only massage your gums, but clean your teeth. It will also induce the production of more saliva that will neutralize the bacteria that cause cavities.
8. Sesame Seeds, which are best combined with bread and rolls, dissolve plaque and help build tooth enamel. The tasty seeds are also rich in calcium, which will keep your teeth and jawbone healthy.
9. Proteins like beef, chicken, eggs and turkey are rich in phosphorus. Calcium combines with phosphorus and Vitamin D to produce our teeth and bones. Make sure you get enough protein to keep your teeth healthy, and reduce decay.
10. Water is not only the gift of life. When you rinse with water, it cleans your mouth so that your saliva can nourish your teeth, hydrate your gums, and help wash away trapped food particles that can create plague.
We hope you’ll be able to eat your way to dental wellness by making better food choices that will build up a strong foundation.